Friday, July 29, 2005

DVD Cases, part 2

A bit of impulse buying today. I've been staring longingly at the new The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly special edition at Best Buy for a while now; today I snatched it up. Aside from the amazing video and audio quality and supplements, TGTBATU (try pronouncing it) has one of the sexiest cases I've seen for a single movie. Let's take a look.


First, the "outer casing," as it were. It's not a traditional plastic case, but rather, a very sturdy cardboard box with the coolest art ever. Damn. Note the MGM logo on the far right; it's imprinted into the box, suggesting a branding ala cows. Very wild west. Eli Wallach and Lee Van Cleef strike similar poses on the back.


Not much to note about the inside you can't see from my photograph. I'll note that when I opened it up, I was surprised. I expected a more traditional DVD case to be inside the cardboard, but this is a lot more sleek and original, I think.

Now this is the coolest extra I've seen in a while. Included are a booklet with an essay by Roger Ebert, a man I deeply admire who knows what he's talking about, and five international posters printed on sturdy cardstock, representing Italy, France, Germany (where the film is known as Two Glorious Scoundrels, for some reason), Japan, and the U.S.

Hey, if you like the best movies ever, in the best DVD presentations ever, why don't you own this?!

No comments:

Post a Comment