Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Heavy metal

War of the Worlds is Spielberg's worst since A.I., though to be fair, I didn't see The Terminal. Anyway, kind of a sack of poo. Hm, maybe I just have it in for Cruise, that psycho...

It's really, really mediocre stuff, though. We've got lots of cringe-inducing material, from workin' man, divorced, with no food in the fridge for his kiddies, rebellious teen with loud ipod, screaming little girl (a staple in Spielberg films, I won't fault him for this one), dog-eat-dog savagery of humans when there's only one working car in the city, lines like, "it's the terrorists, isn't it?!," a terribly miscast Tim Robbins as some psychopath with a safe basement, etc etc. Nevertheless, I would've passed off the film with a shrug if not for the ending, where the downfall of the aliens is explained in 30 seconds with voiceover from Morgan Freeman, who is not in the movie. Also, the aliens apparently attacked every city in the world except Boston, which is where our heroes, unrelatedly, were headed. Great when these things work out.

Anyway, I just got home from JUDAS PRIEST, who kicked my ass several times over. I was a bit worried when they started and Rob Halford sounded croaky, but that disappeared pretty quick and he screamed like a banshee the rest of the night. I was familiar with about half the songs; they played Metal Gods, Breaking the Law and Living After Midnight from British Steel, Touch of Evil and Painkiller from... Painkiller, and You've Got Another Thing Coming, which I guess everyone knows. Totally great performances from the whole band, it's good to see masters of the metal craft doing their thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment