Last night, someone reminded me of the greatness that is pajeon, or "Korean pancake." Realizing I was only missing one ingredient, I set out to buy some green onions.
One of the great things about my new place is that it's two blocks from the grocery store, so it's entirely feasible to walk over there for one ingredient, even when it's pretty cold out. On my walk, I thought about the places I've lived over the last few years, and created a kind of "Green Onion Feasibility Index."
Salt Lake:
All 3 on-and-off years I lived here, I was in either the dorms or student apartments, a decent way from the nearest grocery store. (In Salt Lake, the local Kroger-owned store is called Smith's). It's not a huge deal to get there by car, but a bit of a pain in the ass by rail, which I often had to use my first couple years there.
Would I go for one ingredient? Meh, I'd have to reaaally want some pajeon.
Salt Lake Bonus Tip: The Smith's on 8th and 8th is open 24 hours, and is a lot more chill than the one on 4th. Also, if you are a U student, you can get 5% off. This is the main reason I chose to spend 12 hours outside Smith's waiting for a Wii. Also: to get chicks.
Los Angeles:
This one gets a bit tricky, because I've lived at a few different addresses there. In Studio City, I lived right next to that big Ralph's on Ventura and Vineland. Yeah, Valley Folk, you know the one. It took mere seconds to get there; plus, it never gets cold/slippery.
Ventura/Vineland Ralph's Bonus Tip: Supposedly celebrities shop here, though I never saw one. Or did they just look normal in person?
Later, I lived closer to downtown, near the USC campus. The valley has its charms, like 110 degree weather, but I prefer downtown. Here is where I lived for a month. Again, I enjoyed great proximity to Ralph's. However, this particular Ralph's isn't so much filled with celebrities as homeless people.
Would I go for one ingredient?: Yes; maybe not at night.
Finally, we moved a few blocks away. The closest Ralph's was still that one, so biking or driving became necessary. Bummer.
Would I go for one ingredient?: Meh.
Bonus: Look at that fucking highway interchange! LA is crazy!
Trier, Germany:
In Germany, you walk a lot. At least, in comparison to here. I used to think a mile was some crazy distance, but since Germany, I'm amazed I used to take the bus to get around campus at the U. Study abroad changes you, man. In any case, the closest grocery store to my apartment in Trier was at least a 15 minute walk, and it was usually very cold. So I guess what I'm saying is, despite my newfound love for walking, I would just as soon do without that One Ingredient.
Bonus: The main store in Trier is called Kaufland, which means, like, Shopland, or Buyland. Also, do not try to shop on Sunday. Or after, like, 6pm. Sunday in Germany makes Sunday in Salt Lake City seem like Partytown, USA. This is true even in Berlin.
Monday, December 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Man, good post.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
ReplyDelete