Thursday, September 18, 2008

Anime Cons part I

It's coming up on ten years since I was introduced to anime (through a bizarre combination of Pokemon and Speed Racer) and it seems I'm still into the stuff. Though I'm not as hardcore as some, I've been to a few cons in my day. Here is a significant photo and/or memory from each.

Nan Desu Kan 2000
This was my first anime con, which I attended for one day, along with my brother-in-arm Dave. I'd just turned the ripe age of 14. I guess that's eighth grade. This was the last NDK held at the Sheraton in Lakewood. I don't have any photos from this con, but I do still have the badge.

Bought this there.

Few significant memories: I'd been to a few sci-fi cons before this, but I think we were both kind of blown away by the merchandise and everything. I remember we saw an episode of Jubei-chan that inspired me to buy the series. I also remember Mari Iijima was there. I recognize this as being pretty huge now, but at the time, I didn't really know who she was. We both got her autograph, but felt a little sheepish, since everyone else had Macross Limited Edition CDs and stuff, and we just had our program guides. Finally, I remember stumbling into a room and seeing "anime music videos" for the first time. Still obsessed.

NDK 2001
This time NDK moved to the Holiday Inn DIA, where I'd already been to several sci-fi cons. This would be its home for the next few years. Ah, I remember those hallways well.

Well, it's all very vague, but I remember meeting my buddy Richard for the first time. It was actually the first time I'd met someone I knew from "the internets" in real life. Looking back, I can't believe I did that, especially at such a young age. I was on the tail end of 14 here. Still, nothing but good has come of meeting up with my online friends over the years. I think being smart about it, and not being an underage girl, has helped avoid any Chris Hansen moments.

This year, I also got Bob to come out for a day. We caught the Magnetic Rose segment of Memories. The cons all blur together, but according to release dates, this must have also been the year in which we saw the Escaflowne movie raw. It was an interesting experience to just look at the pretty.

Upon leaving, Bob remarked, "well, Matt, I think you got me into anime." That was pretty awesome. Oh, I think Bob ate some toothpicks at an animeondvd lunch, much to Richard's bemusement.

NDK2002
Hey, photos! This was the first year Bob came the entire weekend. It was also the year Bob and I realized that cosplay meant that we would occasionally see cute girls wearing relatively nothing! What a revelation.

I also attended an animeondvd.com lunch, my photographs indicate. I didn't really know any of the people too well. Again, looking back, it must have been weird for them to have a kid tag along.

Again, if release dates have any weight, this was the year I purchased the Escaflowne movie, still bowled over by the previous year's screening. Somehow, with subtitles, it was less impressive.

Portrait of the Bob as a Young Man.

Otakon 2003
My first non-Colorado con! From 2,000 to 17,000 attendees! The scary streets of Baltimore!

The journey to this con was largely due to my dad, who decided a road trip would be good for me to get some "highway driving" experience (I was 16 at the time, and pretty green on the road). I guess that it was the first road trip I actively participated on. We took our time, driving probably about 8 hours a day, looking at lots of corn. It appears dad had a rockin' goatee at this time.

My memory of the actual con is pretty vague. I remember being blown away by the immense dealers' room, but I don't think I bought much - though I did get Crusher Joe, the coolest movie ever. The most significant part of Otakon was meeting tons of people I'd been hanging out with for years online. And, inexplicably, humping one of them.

NDK 2003
Back in Denver a short time later, it was time for NDK numero quatro. I spent a large part of this con hanging out with Sean, alias Raziel, from animeondvd. I didn't take many photos, but did immortalize some of the incidents in comic form.


Haha. I forgot about that "chair" thing. I wonder if people still do that. Anyway, I don't really remember too much else about this con. I purchased a volume of His and Her Circumstances, a show I have still yet to finish. Bob and I also discovered the joy of Evangelion model kits. Still, we began to feel a little... bored.


IN THE DRAMATIC CONCLUSION: The beginning of the end... and... the return.

No comments:

Post a Comment